Saturday, July 12, 2008

How to Party without Degrading Yourself and the Opposite Sex

So bachelor parties are known as celebrations of all the things that are apparently most sacred to single men, namely booze and naked women. It will come as know surprise that of course I think that is completely ridiculous, and I am baffled as to why men would want to be thought of as sexist drunk idiots. Since alcoholism and objectifying women has not been a part of my bachelorhood, I certainly didn't want to celebrate them at my bachelor party. Fortunately for me, my groomsmen were all more than happy to oblige. (I think many men would prefer not to participate in such behavior and would simply say so if they did not feel it would threaten their standing in our patriarchal culture.)

Instead of the typical bachelor party debauchery, we elected to spend the day on Lake Conroe. My brother borrowed his roommate's boat, and we tubed on the lake. One of my groomsmen attempted wakeboarding, but we had to call it quits shortly after because of a storm that was approaching. Said storm almost sunk our boat on the way in, mostly because the boat was a Sea-Doo, one of those vehicles that is more like a giant wave runner than a normal boat. Needless to say, it does not have the durability of a typical boat. Water started coming in over the side. It was up to the knees of the guys in the back. The cooler was even floating. Getting back to the landing area should have taken 5-10 minutes. It ended up taking us somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour. I can't say for sure because I lost track of time when we had to start bailing water out of the boat.

Despite almost sinking the boat, we had a really good time. Afterwards we went out to dinner, and then we called it a night. I woke up the next morning hang-over-free, having had a full night's sleep (which is completely sacred to me). I did have a bit of a sunburn though. Needless to say, it is totally possible for a group of guys to have a good time without degrading themselves or the opposite sex, and they can retain most of their brain cells at the same time. Who knew?

No comments: