Monday, July 28, 2008

Wedding Ceremony Recap (by the Mrs.)



I am certainly not going to be able to do this justice! It was the most wonderful day. I know probably all couples say that but it was really fantastic. So intimate and celebratory and joyous and peaceful.

We chose not to see each other before the ceremony so the anticipation was pretty gigantic. I forgot that the bride doesn't get to participate in anything at the beginning, which was kind of a bummer, b/c we planned such cool stuff. Teitur and Snow Patrol on a string quartet, for one. But I treasure the time I had with my dad while we were waiting. The moment I saw my beloved it all felt real, like it was for us and about us and we were entering into something so sacred. He smiled at me so big when he saw me walk down the aisle and I couldn't help but cry. My mom stood up with my dad and I at the front and they gave their blessing, and I took his hand and held on for dear life. I lost it when our good friend read Walt Whitman as an invocational prayer.

Then it came to the vows. Our pastor reworked the traditional vows so they sound a little cooler, and speak of serving each other as Christ loves the Church, which is exactly how we both want to live. Then we read our personal vows to each other from a scroll hand calligraphied by my former roommmate. His were eloquent and sometimes humorous and again, made me cry. I said all the things I wanted to say and loved having everyone hear our vows, it crystallized them somehow.

We got to take communion together, which was very cool. It's meant a lot to us to take communion each week for the last 2 years, and our good friend served us, to remind us of our new covenant.

One of my favorite parts of the ceremony was the prayer/dance. Ok not a prayer dance like a rain dance. All of our attendants came on stage to circle around us and pray, while members of my former dance company danced a beautiful interpretation of the song "Divine Invitation" by Something Like Silas. It was a way to interpret the moment with music, words, movement, and prayer. Amazing.

We walked out to "We Are One Tonight" by Switchfoot, performed on strings, off through the crowd and into the bookstore (fitting, right?). We faced the congregation the whole time so we got to absorb the community of friends and family and support around us. And the pastor introduced us correctly!

Funny moments:

When it was time for me to say "I Do" for the traditional vows, I hadn't been paying attention because I was lost in Eric's eyes and my elation. I hesitated because I wasn't sure it was my turn!

When reciting Revelation 21, the reader said a "bridge" beautifully dressed for her husband instead of "bride." The Mr. kept calling me his "beautiful bridge".

On the way up to serve communion, our friend tripped up the stairs on the stage. My father-in-law thanked him for doing so, because that meant the two of us wouldn't trip (and we didn't).

Several of my relatives thought it was scandalous that I went barefoot for the ceremony. No comment on the dancing, lack of traditional music, the lack of unity in my attendants' dresses, or the fact that we both hyphenated our last name. Just my lack of shoes, go figure.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I am so happy to read that recap! Although I wasn't there, I feel like I got a sense of how incredibly special the day was.

Anonymous said...

The wedding and celebration following were lovely!

I thought the barefoot thing was a great idea. An hour in those typical 'bridal' shoes could throw your spine out of alignment for good, not to mention the danger of falling...

Just wait till I go barefoot at my daughter's wedding.

Talk about scandal.