Friday, January 25, 2008

How to Plan a Wedding and Not Go Crazy


(by FW)

I'm a planner... I love to plan. I love to choose things and get organized and make things happen. And I've planned a lot of weddings, but never my own. Some how it' really different when it's yours.

Perhaps I'm a little over the top on this, but I seem to think that every single thing about our wedding is symbolic. I mean down to the flower in the hostess' corsage.

When we first got engaged (and even a little before), we did a lot of planning all at once, for like a month. Everyone was so impressed at how much we got done and it was terribly fun. Then we had an engagement party, and the holiday break, and promptly forgot we were planning a wedding (which was also awesome). So when we got to the six month mark we decided we should start planning again, and it's so fun. But it's a little more stressful now... it's more like a puzzle then an abstract painting.

In reality, a wedding is a celebration that lasts a few hours on one day. The marriage, or course, lasts forever. The relationship is what should be cultivated in the time leading up to the wedding, above all.

Fortunately, we both have Fridays off this semester so we can reserve one day a week to discuss wedding planning. That way the rest of our week is not consumed with questions like buttercream v. vanilla icing and we can focus on each other. My job is also conducive to getting some things done while at work.

So if no one seems to notice that really great idea I had for the guest book or why we have four kids in the ceremony, etc., it won't really matter. What matters is me and him and all that we're learning about each other through the planning process.

But we have some excellent ideas, so please point them out in detail after you have attending our wedding celebration. :)

No comments: