Saturday, March 15, 2008

How to Be an Adult

So I am almost 27-years-old. In less than two months, I will have a master's degree (and hopefully a real job). In four months, I will be getting married. All these things sound like symptoms of adulthood, but I often don't feel like an adult. Don't get me wrong, I have been at this whole adult thing for a few years now, but it didn't feel adult. It's not that I am immature or live a wild lifestyle, I'm not really sure what it is.

A couple of months ago, some of my best friends decided they wanted to start a Finer Things Club (yes, it is a tribute to The Office). Basically, it's a monthly rotating dinner party. Last night, my FW and I hosted it at her house with three other couples (all married). Hosting a dinner party for three married couples--now that's adult. Granted, we did make pancakes which isn't extremely sophisticated. By the way, I had never actually made pancakes before, so what does that say about my culinary skills?

We had a really good time. Apparently being an adult can also be fun. Who would have thought? I guess I should try some other adult things to, as long as they don't include buying a house, settling down, or having a baby. My dog is enough responsibility for now.

The irony of all this is that I think I may have skipped adulthood and moved straight into senior citizenship. After all, I go to bed and wake up pretty early. I don't like loud noise and party-like atmospheres. I drive slowly. I eat lunch before noon, and I have been to a Bingo hall (more than once actually). I even sometimes dress like a grandpa. Just give me my AARP card already so I can eat the early-bird buffet at Golden Corral. Okay, I went too far with that last one. I will not be eating at Golden Corral anytime soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am 59 and do none of these "senior things." I think I skipped the slow down senior thing and jumped right back to my 20s somewhere. Help!!!!

Your blog is cool and you and your labors for Christ encourage me beyond words. I am so glad we met Lauran and I believe marriage will fit you well. You are a neat person, with much more than a great mind. You are real and that made me like you instantly.

May your marriage be wonderfully blessed by our Father.

Grace and peace to you both,

John H. Armstrong