Saturday, March 1, 2008

How to Eat


So neither my FH or I like to cook. I have a sort of super-human skill to avoid the grocery store and my kitchen stove for weeks at a time. We too quickly give in to the proposition of eating out when we start to look in the fridge for something edible. My mom is a wonderful cook and my sister has a side business making fancy desserts and wedding cakes. I never really cared to learn to cook, and my years on my own have not enticed me too either.

To combat this issue, we've decided to cook for each other once per month. That's right, so at least twice per month we cook. We should get a medal.

When we registered for kitchen stuff, we were overwhelmed with the sheer amount of gadgetry. I have to admit that we registered for a few things simply so my sister could use them when she comes over! We didn't know what half of it was. They are clever, though, the gods of marketing, when they make it sound like your life is impossible without their product. This allows me to make my own pasta in 3 minutes AND whole wheat waffles?? Gotta have it!

My reactions to culinary habits stem mostly from societal expectations for women to be domestic goddesses. (As I always said growing up, I'm domestically challenged) Few people emphasize the importance of cooking from the perspective of taking control of your eating habits, providing for yourself, and cooking as a communal, not solitary, activity. Those are all things I agree with and actually bring me some enjoyment.

Statistically, in dual income couples, the woman still does an overwhelming majority of the housework (including cooking). That's a pitfall we're trying to avoid by being intentional about how we provide meals for ourselves. Our combined schedule (and sanity) will still require some eating out, but hopefully planning and cooking together will encourage us to spend quality time and be healthy. Knowing that my H2B doesn't expect me to do all or even most of the cooking is a relief.


(Pics from Anne Taintor)

On another note, my brother-in-law has decided to refer to us as "The Hyphens" until we have decided 100% on a last name. :)

No comments: