Friday, May 16, 2008

How to Dazzle with Your First Dance

So in preparation for our first dance together at the reception, my FW and I have been taking dance classes. We spent 4 weeks in a beginner ballroom class and are now almost finished with our four week "Romantic Sway" class. We will be waltzing across the dance floor to plenty of oohs and aahs.

The ballroom class has prepared us for our future Dancing with the Stars appearances. You may think that we don't really have star power, but maybe you have never watched the show. Real stars don't have time to dance. I couldn't tell you who most of the people on the show are or why I should care about their dancing ability. Anyway, we learned the basic steps of the waltz, rumba, foxtrot, cha-cha, tango, and jitterbug in our ballroom class. The romantic sway class has been teaching us turns and dips and all sorts of impressive looking moves for our first dance. Get your cameras ready folks.

I never really pictured myself taking a dance class, but it has been enlightening. One thing I learned is that men apparently are unable to follow a simple two-step rhythm, at least that is what one of our instructors said. Maybe the Y chromosome has an anti-dance gene on it. That sounds scientific and easily provable. I happen to take pride in the fact that even though I am not totally graceful, I can always find the beat. I think it comes from all those years of marching band.

It has also been fun to hear what songs other people are using for their first dance. There are the predictable-in-a-make-me-want-to-vomit-sugary-sweet type songs like "God Blessed the Broken Road." (Is there an emoticon for gagging?) One of the songs is in a completely different language, sounds Japanese to me, pretty cool I might add although it does not have a regular beat. We will be dancing to Cole Porter's "Night and Day" as sung by the amazing Ella Fitzgerald. It is a little more upbeat, so it is really fun to dance to. Plus, it doesn't make me want to vomit.

On a related note, there will be no "Chicken Dance" at our reception. I know it is often the highlight of the night, so I thought I should warn you now lest you be disappointed later.

No comments: