Saturday, May 3, 2008

How to Shower


So apparently when you get married, people give you a lot of parties. That's really fun!

Today was the first of "shower season," as I'm calling it. Our church hosted a couples' shower for us and it was a lot of people I love in one room. One of my bridesmaids took the day off work yesterday to prepare gourmet desserts, including drawing our monogram in icing on the cake. Her husband actually torched the creme brule right before the party started. Minus a slight malfunction of the chocolate fountain, it was all pretty perfect.

We played the "Newlywed Game" which tests trivia like the first movie you saw together, your first kiss, etc. We got most of them the same, even "what's the most embarrassing thing you've done in front of your fiance"... FH answered "nothing she's perfect" and I had said "nothing, I'm too cool." Then we played a really awkward game where I was blindfolded and had to feel the hands of 5 different guys to see if I would choose my G2B. Sadly, I chose my BSIL, thinking it was my FH. Talk about awkward...

Of course opening gifts was fun... FH didn't know about the tradition that for how many ribbons you break, you are going to have that many babies. Who makes up these rules? Most of the gifts were from our registry, with a few exceptions. One was a set of sheets from my FSIL who doesn't do registries, as she explained (fortunately she has great taste!), and another was vegan banana bread. We also got the exact same gift from two different people... the same cookie sheet and cook book. My parents started a tradition with my sister that she got 6 silk flowers 6 months before her wedding, then 5 flowers 5 months before, and so on. For me, my parents are giving me anniversary date ideas in the countdown to the wedding. This month it was a pasta pot and fancy pasta and sauce for us to make on our one month anniversary.

Really we're just very loved, and "showered" (sorry it was to easy) with affection and support.

No comments: