Wednesday, October 24, 2007

How to Play "The Game"

So I am not smooth at all. I have no moves, no lines, no game, and virtually no dating experience (until I met my FW). None of this bodes well for someone on the dating scene, especially a small town boy in the big city. On top of this, I had never dated a feminist before. I wondered whether I should open doors for her (I do) and whether I should plan every date and pay for every date (after we became exclusive, we started sharing those duties). Here are some of my basic dating philosophies for the 21st century. Hey, they actually worked for me.

1.) Be honest. You don't have to tell your deepest darkest secrets on the first date, but if you want a relationship that is going anywhere, you should be honest from the beginning. Relationships are hard, but I know that my FW loves the real me because I don't pretend to be someone else. Don't be afraid to let the inner-dork shine through (in my case, my FW finds it strangely charming most of the time).

2.) Be romantic. If you aren't capable, find ideas on the Internet or watch a few romantic comedies. They can be cheesy, but there is a fine line between romantic and cheesy (and I cross it every day).

3.) Be considerate. Ask her about herself. Go on dates she would like. I have been to the ballet, the opera, and contemporary dance performances. These are not my typical weekend activities, but I know how much my FW likes dance. She enjoys these things so much, that it makes them more enjoyable for me. She has even gone to Astros games and sat through a couple action movies with me (which she ended up enjoying too).

Just in case you need a few lines though, here are some that may help woo a feminist:

- [Drop a packet of Equal sweetener in front of her.] Excuse me you dropped your name tag.
- Drop that zero and get with the liberated male.
- I lost my number... and my preconceived sexist notions.
- Do your feet hurt because you have been stomping on patriarchal constructions in my mind all day.

And finally:

- (Not to be used with Christian feminists) Your domestic sphere or mine?

2 comments:

APN said...

"So I am not smooth at all. I have no moves, no lines, no game, and virtually no dating experience (until I met my FW)."

Well, speaking as Joey, having game can be overrated because the player of the game can often be sucked down into the game, with the game thereby achieving transcendence over the game player.

It's a horrid mess....

Crystal said...

"Just in case you need a few lines though, here are some that may help woo a feminist:

- [Drop a packet of Equal sweetener in front of her.] Excuse me you dropped your name tag."

THIS IS MY FAVORITE! You guys are awesome!