Saturday, February 16, 2008

How to... CAKE!

So if there is one thing I have been looking forward to most in this wedding planning, it has been the cake tasting. My love for cake is hard to quantify, so I won't bother. When I first learned of cake tasting I suggested to a friend of mine that we pretend like we were planning a wedding just so we could go eat some free cake. I was only half joking. Now that my B2B and I have finally been to a tasting and chosen a cake, I can tell you that true cake love waits, but the wait is worth it.

I should start by telling you about our baker. He is awesome. I can't believe he is going to do this for us. He is from Nigeria and actually did the cake for a presidential inauguration there, and now he works for one of the nicest hotels in Houston. Despite such impressive credentials, he is genuinely one of the nicest, humblest people I have met. He told us yesterday that he was honored to do our wedding...the feeling is mutual. We have made a new friend in all this, so I couldn't be more excited about that.

I guess I could tell you exactly what the cake will be like, but I won't. Works of art are best appreciated in person, so you will have to wait until the reception. The tasting was everything I hoped it would be. He brought us five different samples that we had selected at our first meeting with him. It was a really difficult choice because each of them were amazing. I also learned what fondant is. Apparently, it is pretty rich, and many Americans don't like it. However, he is going to use a new type that was developed more for American tastes. It was really good. I have nothing to compare it to because I haven't tasted fondant before. So not only did the tasting satisfy my cake craving, it educated me. What a beautiful cake-filled world we live in.

No comments: