Wednesday, February 6, 2008

How to Get Free Food

So it's been a while since I posted anything. I apologize for the delay. This semester I am trying to graduate, plan a wedding, restructure the course I teach, and find a job. Let's just say that I am still trying to figure out where to find time for anything else. I do have plenty of topics saved up to blog about though.

One of the advantages to being a hands-on FH is that I get to meet with caterers. This might not sound too exciting to most men, but that is only because they don't realize that tastings often accompany these meetings. Take my word all you Gs2B, if you only want to be a minimal part of the planning, don't skip out on anything food or cake related.

On Friday, my FW and I met with the caterer that we will probably end up using. It was at a chain Italian restaurant. We walked in just after the lunch rush and were treated to more food than we could possibly eat. We got bread, salad, three appetizers, a piece of veggie lasagna, and two pasta dishes. We ended up taking three boxes home. All of this was free. They REALLY want our business.

It was also really great food. We are well aware that when it is prepared in bulk and sitting in chafing dishes that the taste may be diminished, but for one glorious hour, we were treated to some awesome free food, and I still have lunch left for tomorrow. Even though we are really busy, and we are probably going to choose this caterer in the end, I think it would be worth it to schedule these tastings every Friday afternoon. I am a grad student after all. Free food is to grad students as pantsuits are to Hillary Clinton. (Sorry, I had to make a Super Tuesday joke there.)

Now if only figuring out where to have the rehearsal dinner was this fun.

No comments: