Monday, November 26, 2007

How to Choose Floral Arrangements

So last weekend, I was at my FW's parents' house when I was asked if I wanted to help with floral arrangements. Before you start to question my masculinity, keep in mind that I believe gender stereotypes are both stupid and harmful. Besides, since I am marrying a woman who likes getting flowers, it is in my best interest to know what kind of flowers she likes. Over the last year or so, I have learned more about flowers than I ever cared to know. It doesn't do much for my ability in choosing the best looking floral arrangements, but at least now I know what the flowers in them are called.

As I have probably mentioned before, my FW's mom is a wedding planner, and she has a variety of flower choices already purchased and ready to arrange. In fact, she has boxes full of fake flowers of almost every imaginable variety and color. My FSIL (future sister-in-law) just got married in March and used purple arrangements, so our first task was to sort those flowers back into their respective crates to make room for the new ones that we would be considering. I assumed that this task would be fairly simple, but we ended up with over twenty piles of different white and purple flowers that we then methodically placed into boxes. I was actually pretty efficient with this task. I told my FW that it was because of my biochemistry background-- it makes me good at classifying things. It reminded me of my high school biology leaf project.

Now, I am much better at multiple choice options than at infinite choice options, and as I have already established, I have little to no taste when it comes to clothing or fashion or decorating. Since my FW knows me so well, she mentioned that if I would rather watch TV than try to help picking out and placing each flower, that I could help once they had something more definite. This sounded like a wonderful idea to me, so I went downstairs and watched football (maybe not football-- I can't really remember what I watched-- but football helps balance out all this flower business). Meanwhile, my FW and FMIL (future mother-in-law) worked on a possible arrangement. When they were done, they asked me what I thought. I really liked it, and then I helped them pick out what greenery should go with it. Since there were only about three or four choices, this part was pretty easy.

So there you have it. I actually helped pick out floral arrangements. Is that progressive or what?

No comments: