Monday, December 17, 2007

How to Deal with Kids

So once most people turn about 13, the pressure is on. First, there is pressure to date. Then around 18 or so, the pressure turns up a notch to marriage. After that comes the pressure to have kids. Before my B2B and I were even engaged, people were asking us about marriage and grandchildren. My mom has wanted GC since her kids moved out. The issue came up a few times this weekend.

My B2B and I were visiting her family. I got to meet some friends of hers that have two boys. It was really fun. The kids were great. It made the whole parenting thing look fun. I have always loved kids, so I definitely want some of my own one day. We got home, and we told my FILs that we would be staying in Houston for the first two years of our marriage. They were really excited. Then my FMIL said after two years we could have a kid, and then we wouldn't want to leave. She must have been talking to my mom.

All this talk about kids had a nice bookend last night. My FW and I volunteer with the kids at our church once a month. She calls it free birth control. The kids are fun, but I am usually exhausted after about five minutes. I thought training a dog was difficult. My dog is pretty obedient at one and a half years. She is potty trained. She obeys commands (usually). Why does it take humans so much longer even though we are (supposedly) more intelligent? The point of all this is that kids are great when they belong to someone else. I love other people's kids. I don't think I am ready for my own though, so you can keep pressuring us about it, but that's the beauty of children's church. It undoes all the crazy ideas you guys put in our heads.

1 comment:

lh said...

What happened to How To Holiday, Part II?