Tuesday, December 11, 2007

How to Holiday (Part 1)

So with the holidays upon us, I thought I might bring up some of the traditions we are trying to incorporate. We both really love the holidays, so this will just be one of a few posts about this subject.

One of the things that I have learned recently about my B2B is that she loves Christmas trees-- ridiculously large Christmas trees. Two weeks ago, we helped set up the tree at her parents' house. It was the biggest tree I have ever seen someone put in their living room, and it was almost as wide as it was tall. I couldn't tell which end was up when I saw it on the porch. Well, my B2B, FMIL, and I spent a good hour (at least it felt like that) hacking away at the base with a saw trying to get the trunk to fit in the tree stand. When my FFIL got there, he brought out a chisel to help, and the two of us spent at least another 30 minutes trying to chip away at the bottom of the trunk. Finally, we got it to fit, and we lugged the monstrosity into the house. About a week later, my B2B and her roommate bought a 9 foot tall tree for their 8 foot apartment. Instead of cutting it, they just let the top bend over and hung an angel from it with some string. Whoville called-- they want their tree back. Then on Friday, we went with some friends to the Bayou Bend Christmas open house. They had a tree with 2000 ornaments. I think my B2B was secretly taking notes.

I forgot to mention the lights display. My B2B and her roommate set up a bunch of lights outside their apartment. It looks like the Griswold family Christmas out there. I love that my B2B has so much Christmas spirit. It fits right in with my family who still wake up somewhere around 5AM to open presents even though all of us are over 20. Christmas traditions don't need to make sense-- that makes them even better.

4 comments:

lh said...

I am wondering what will happen to those wonderful Christmas traditions when my FGC arrive on the scene. Will the 5am gift unwrapping still be around? Anyone who knows my FDIL can stop laughing now.

Lauran, don't listen to those Whoville comments. He must have forgotten the forest size tree we chopped down in Wisconsin. Ask him to retell that story.

EKH said...

My B2B is the one who made the Whoville comment. I just stole it from her.

lh said...

I can't believe that the FGC reference went without comment. You are definitely slipping. You know you probably had that panicked feeling thinking that I was already wondering when that would happen. Just relax, I was really just kidding.

EKH said...

I have just learned to ignore all the crazy FGC stuff.