Sunday, December 23, 2007

How to Holiday, Part III


(From the B2B)

As you have probably figured out, I'm a bit of a holiday junkie. I love all the cheesy activities that surround Christmas and the magic that surrounds the season. My FH is also a lover of Christmas and all holidays.

So we're glad we've had one holiday season engaged, because it's rather complicated when you have two families involved. We're spending Christmas with our respective families (our last one apart!). But the time we've spent with family has brought up several questions, namely how we honor each family while honoring each other and the two of us as a unit.

We've been lucky in that we've both felt it easy to become a part of each other's family, and we really truly like our in-laws. But I get homesick on normal days, so I anticipate really missing my family next Christmas. And it's made me think about all the traditions we cling to and why... I freak out if the jello salad is not in the same dish every year. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter at all.

So it's been cool to talk with my FH about starting new traditions and making them memorable, while absorbing what family traditions we can. Our new tradition will include minimal cooking, we at least know that for sure.

No comments: